In the fall and all winter, there are appointments that are obvious here. They make the charm of the Gers localities of Gimont, Samatan, Seissan, or Eauze : we want to talk to you about fat markets !
Where and when to live a fat market?
Whether you come from the East, the West, the North or the South of Auch, you will inevitably find a fat market on your way! Take a good look at market days, but here too, whether you're coming on weekdays or weekends, you should be able to easily find:
- à Samatan le Monday (35 km from Auch) from November to March
- à Gimont le Sunday (26km from Auch) from October 16, 2022 to March 12, 2023. Market coupled with the meat poultry market
- à I'm standing le Friday (20km from Auch) from October 21, 2022 to March 10, 2023
- à Eauze le Sunday (52km from Auch) from October 16, 2022
ATTENTION, in this year 2022, still marked by the avian flu, there are very few ducks on the markets. It is essential to arrive before the opening (10 am). The markets of Seissan and Eauze are very poorly supplied.
In addition to the fat markets, the festive poultry are provided :
- In Samatan, November 28 and December 5, 12, 19 and 26
- In Gimont, December 11 and 18
Did you know ?
The Gers is the 1st French department to produce traditional foie gras, this heritage shared with our neighbors in the great South-West. The duck with foie gras from Gers benefits from a IGP (Protected Geographical Indication) specific to this department.
Where to buy duck and goose products on the Auch side
You like buy fresh, cooked and processed products while enjoying the landscapes of our Gers countryside, the authenticity of the place directly from the producer then you can go:
- to the La Gouardère farm in Roquelaure (10km from Auch),
- to the Farm in Castéra in Castelnau-Barbarens (17km from Auch): on the way do not miss the discovery stop in the village, this small perched castelnau... its embankments, its old stones, its history, its point of view from the back of the church,
- to the Cousteau farm in Peyrusse-Massas,
- in Gersement Good! in Aubiet.
In town in Auch, you will have the Tistou counter close to Auch Cathedral (products from Maison Ramajo de Dému) and of course the traditional markets Thursday morning in lower town, or Saturday morning in upper town.
Learn to cut your duck
To theCousteau hostel in Saint-Lary less than 15 km from Auch, from the end of September to the end of April, Yann teaches you how to cut the fatty duck into different quarters and prepare your preserves, which you will bring back with you at the end of the course, all in a good atmosphere. You can stay in guest rooms with a "chic countryside" decor on the same site. To prolong the pleasure, go to the “restaurant” side, very close to the fireplace…