Auch, capital of Gascony!
The Gers is a department recognized for its quality of life and Auch is of course part of it: gastronomy, leisure, heritage ... The ancient Gallo-Roman city is full of many assets.
And so you don't miss anything during your stay in Auch, here is a non-exhaustive list of the little treasures that can be found there:
* The pousterles, these small very steep alleys which skirt the old ramparts, with the charm ... astounding!
* The tower of Armagnac (from May to September, the cathedral treasury museum in the basement of the tower is open every day. The rest of the year, guided tours are offered).
* The monumental staircase with its 354 steps to climb and where sits the statue of a famous Gascon, d'Artagnan. The little extra: from the top of the stairs on your right, the view of the Pyrenees range if the weather is clear.
* Listed by UNESCO as part of the Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle roads, the Sainte-Marie cathedral is not to be missed under any circumstances! Its splendid stained-glass windows, its two organs, the choir and the stalls ...
* To see also: the Henri IV house, the Italian theater, the Museum of the Americas - Auch (formerly renovated Jacobins museum) renowned for its second collection of pre-Columbian art from France, its Egyptian or Gallo-Roman collections, the fine arts of Gascony ...
Crossed by the Gers river, Auch is a town in the countryside where life is good. It has several very well-kept parks and gardens, a nice walk to take along the Gers river (Claude Desbons and Michel Combe walks), several farmers' markets during the week or even many organized meetings. by associations or by the city.
The city is part of the Grands Sites Occitanie and Grand Auch has been labeled a Country of Art and History since 2011. Elsa, Laurent, Aymeric and Émilie, your tour guides offer guided tours all year round (information at the tourist Office).
Passing through Auch in October? Auch is the National Circus Pole with an annual Circa Festival which takes place over 10 days and which brings together artists from all over the world. The rest of the year, the cultural season is full of events for all ages.
So many assets that even earned it the nickname "Auch, the beautiful surprise of the South-West"!
Ranking & labels
- Public toilets
- All shops
- Home Jacquaire
- Airport or train station shuttle
- Motorhome service area
- Guided tours
- Tourist Documentation